Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: The Order of Odd-Fish

The Order of Odd-Fish by James Kennedy.


Summary from Goodreads.


JO LAROUCHE HAS lived her 13 years in the California desert with her Aunt Lily, ever since she was dropped on Lily’s doorstep with this note: This is Jo. Please take care of her. But beware. This is a dangerous baby. At Lily’s annual Christmas costume party, a variety of strange events take place that lead Jo and Lily out of California forever—and into the mysterious, strange, fantastical world of Eldritch City. There, Jo learns the scandalous truth about who she is, and she and Lily join the Order of Odd-Fish, a collection of knights who research useless information. Glamorous cockroach butlers, pointless quests, obsolete weapons, and bizarre festivals fill their days, but two villains are controlling their fate. Jo is inching closer and closer to the day when her destiny is fulfilled, and no one in Eldritch City will ever be the same.


Review


I met James Kennedy two years ago at the Rochester Teen Book Festival and picked up his book because listening to his answers to questions in the panel discussions made me laugh, so I knew his book would too. I've finally had the opportunity to sit down and read it and I was not disappointed.


I don't think I've ever laughed so hard while reading a book. James Kennedy's book is pure, outrageously silly fun and I can only imagine how much fun it would be to read as a teen.


This book is pretty much just one big giggle-fest, although I think the cockroach (who is quite glamorous, nobody wears a decent cravat and/or monocle these days and he pulled both off swimmingly) was the funniest character. If any reader liked Lemony Snicket or anything that was just so full of silliness (but still utterly awesome) it couldn't possibly work but somehow does, then they will want to read this book. And they will love it.


Yes, some descriptions of characters and places are long, but they contain so much life that I found myself reading every word anyway. It probably helped that a few times I had to reread something (especially in the beginning when I was still grasping what could or could not happen in the book) after a "What the...?!" moment, but overall, I had a lot of fun.


Read it!


Bought from Barnes and Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, so what are your thoughts?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...